Bacalhau a Gomes De Sa – Salt Cod, Onions, and Potatoes
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 pounds salt cod
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds waxy potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cooked until tender
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced, for garnish
- 8 black olives, pitted, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Soak cod in cold water for 24 to 36 hours, changing water occasionally, drain. Flake cod into small pieces, removing any bones. Set aside. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add 1/4 cup oil. When oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper and saute until slightly golden, about 6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a medium ovenproof casserole dish with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Spread one-third of the potatoes over bottom of prepared dish. Sprinkle half the onions over potatoes. Place half the salt cod over onion mixture. Cover with half the tomato sauce. Top with another layer of potatoes, onion mixture, and more salt cod. Place remaining potatoes over cod, cover with remaining tomato sauce, and drizzle entire pan with remaining 1/4 cup oil. Place in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve hot, garnished with the sliced eggs, olives, and parsley, if desired.
Recipe credit: This recipe originally appeared on Emeril’s Table, Lagasse’s original series on the Hallmark Channel, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.